We all use spices and herbs in our daily food. Herbs and spices make food tastier while boosting your health. But do you know that there are many health benefits of herbs and spices, not to mention they improve the taste of so many foods, they have also medicinal properties. Which you should know because it can help you to maintain a healthy body.
All spices found from plants: flowers, fruits, seeds, barks, leaves, and roots. Spices and herbs not just to enhance the taste of foods, but can help conserve them for a longer duration of time.
Herbs and Spices have antibacterial and antiviral qualities and many are high in B-vitamins and trace minerals.
So, let’s discuss some important health benefits of spices and herbs.
Health Benefits Of Spices And Herbs
This is one of the most helpful spices. It has several health benefits. It carries a compound named cinnamaldehyde, which is responsible for cinnamon’s medicinal qualities.
- Cinnamon can lower blood sugar Levels
- Helps fight inflammation
- Can lower fasting blood sugars approximately by 10-29% in every diabetic patient
It is generally used in cooking and it has been worked as a medicine in ancient times because of its anti-microbial properties. This spice has a strong compound named allicin.
Allicin is produced only after the cells in the garlic have been cut or crushed.
- lower your risk of getting heart disease
- Helpful in High Cholesterol
- Beneficial in High Blood Pressure.
- Effective in Common Cold
Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Ginger is known to have founded in China and has a place in various Chinese traditional therapies.
- used to help digestion
- reduce nausea
- help fight the flu and common cold
- Good for the digestive system
- anti-inflammatory, and can help reduce pain
- preventing diseases like cancer
This spice is generally used in every food to give a good color. But it contains several compounds with medicinal properties, the most important of which is curcumin.
Curcumin is an important compound, it is helping to fight oxidative damage and improve the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
- chronic Western disease
- ability to reduce inflammation and improve joints/relieves arthritis
- slow down Alzheimer’s disease
- prevents cancer
- good for your brain
- It has properties to treating osteoarthritis
It is a spice with an acute, lightly sweet in flavor that some people connect to mint. Cardamom founded in India but now it is accessible worldwide and used in both sweet and savory dishes.
- Antioxidant and Diuretic Properties May Lower Blood Pressure
- May Contain Cancer-Fighting Compounds
- Protect from Chronic Diseases
- Helpful in Digestive Problems
- Prevents from Cavities
- Improve Breathing
- Lower Blood Sugar Levels
- It is also useful for Weight loss
Mint is also a powerful herb. It also has many medicinal benefits. Mint is the name for above a dozen plant species, including peppermint and spearmint, that belong to the family Mentha. These plants are especially known for the cooling feeling they impart. They can be added to meals in both fresh and dried forms.
- It does contain a fair amount of nutrients
- Improve Digestive System
- Improve Brain Function
- Decrease Breastfeeding Pain
- Prevents from bad breath
Cumin is a spice obtained from the seeds of the Cuminum cyminum plant. It is used mostly in every dish, especially foods from its native regions of the Mediterranean and Southwest Asia. Cumin has long been used in traditional medicine.
- Promotes Digestion
- Good source of iron
- Contains Beneficial Plant Compounds like terpenes, phenols, flavonoids, and alkaloids.
- Helpful in Diabetes
- Improve Blood Cholesterol
- Promote Weight Loss and Fat Reduction
This green leafy plant is also known as Ocimum sanctum L. and tulsi. It has a record within Indian medicine as a remedy for various conditions, from eye diseases to ringworms.
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Protect against infection and treat wounds such as acne, mouth ulcers
- Lower your blood sugar
- Lower your cholesterol
- decreasing stomach acid
- Ease inflammation and joint pain
Rosemary is one of the most famous aromatic and medicinal plants worldwide. It has a pine/lemony fragrance and uses it common often in soap making due to its smell and capacity to fight aging by restoring the small blood vessels under the skin.
- Improve Brain Function
- Stimulates Hair Growth
- Help Relieve Pain
- Helps to repel from certain blood-sucking insects
- help reduce anxiety
Mustard seeds are also used as a strong spice, and it also has many medicinal health benefits.
- help to fight with uterine cancer
- help to enhance your cardiovascular health.
- improve bone strength
- fight against to Psoriasis
- Helps to promote healthy looking skin and hair also
Therefore, these are the health benefits of spices and herbs. All spices have medicinal benefits. So, try to eat all the spices.
Hope you like this article, don’t forget to share it with your peers, or if you have any query or suggestion feel free to tell us in the comment section.
We will try to solve your queries as early as possible.