Best vegetarian protein sources:Vegan Protein Substituteshealth Updated: July 27th, 2019 0 COMMENTS
Proteins are nutrient needed by the human body for growth and fitness. It contains 4 calories in each gram and makeups about 15 percent of a person’s body weight. Protein is made up of amino acid which are organic compounds made of hydrogen, nitrogen, sulfur, oxygen, and carbon.
Also, it is known as macro-nutrient which is essential to make great body muscle. There are many good sources of proteins such as – meat, egg, and dairy.
Protein utilized to build and repair tissue. Protein is an important building block of muscles, skin, bones, and blood. It helps to build enzymes and hormones. The human body consists of around 100 cells and each cell has thousands of different proteins and each cell to do its job. Protein is like the tiny machine inside the cells.
If you are vegetarian then add some vegetarian protein by eating food like fruits, nuts, and seeds, green vegetables, whole grain, soy products. Vegetarians need to pay attention to getting enough calcium, protein, iron, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and omega -3.
Why protein is important for our daily life
Protein is most important for our daily life. The body needs protein for maintenance of tissue and body growth. It is made up of amino acids that promote cell growth and repair our skin. Higher protein diets can also promote muscle strength, weight loss. But you don’t need to eat meat or cheese to get enough of the essential nutrients.
Some list of vegetarian protein sources
- It is a popular protein source of many vegetarians and vegans. It looks like the texture of meat when cooked.
- Seitan purchased in the refrigerated of the frozen section of most grocery stores. We can also make at home by mixing vital wheat gluten with water.
- Seitan is also a good source of selenium and contains a small amount of iron, calcium, and phosphorus.
- It is also known as wheat meat, or wheat gluten, It contains about 25 grams of protein per 3.5 ounces(100g). This makes it is the richest plant protein source on this list.
- Seitan can be pan-fried, sauteed and even grilled. Therefore, it can be easily incorporated into a variety of recipes.
Lentils are also a great source of protein. They can be used in a variety of dishes, ranging from fresh salad to hearty soup and spice-infused dahls.
Lentils also contain a good amount of slowly digested carbs, and a single cup (240ml) provides Approximately 50% of your recommended daily fiber intake.
It may also help in reducing heart disease, diabetes excess, body weight and some types of cancer.
Lentils are rich in folate, manganese, and iron.
3.Tofu, Tempeh and Edamame
- Tofu, Tempeh, and Edamame all originate from soybeans. Soybeans are considered a whole source of protein. This means that they provide the body with all the essential amino acids it needs.
- Edamame are immature soybeans with a sweet and slightly grassy, taste
- Tofu is made from bean curds.
- Tempeh is made with cooking and slightly fermenting mature soybeans.
- They all contain iron, calcium.
4. Green peas
- Green peas are a good source of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper and vitamins B.
- The little green peas contain 9 grams of protein per cooked (240 ml), which is slightly more than a cup of milk.
5. Chickpeas and most varieties of Beans
Chickpeas are known as garbanzo beans. And it also has a high protein content.
Kidney, black, pinto and most other varieties of beans contain a high amount of protein per serving.
Both chickpeas and beans contain about 15 grams of protein per cooked (240 ml). They are also an excellent source of carbs, fiber, iron, folate, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, and several beneficial plant compounds.
6. Soy milk
Milk made from soybeans and fortified with vitamins and minerals is a great alternative to cow’s milk.
It contains 7 grams of protein per cup (240 ml). But it is also an excellent source of vitamin B12, vitamin D, and calcium.
7. Oats and Oatmeal
- Oats are an easy and delicious way to add protein to our diet.
- It provides you with approximately 4 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. This also contains a good amount of magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and folate.
- We can use oats in a variety of recipes ranging from oatmeal to veggie burgers.
8. Chia seeds
- Chia seeds contain 6 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber per 1.25 ounces (35 grams), chia seeds definitely deserve their spot on this list.
- They are also incredibly versatile.
9. Nuts, Nut Butter and other seeds
- Nuts, seeds are provided a great source of proteins. One ounce 28 grams contains between 5-7 grams of protein, depending on the nut and seed variety.
- Nuts and seeds are also a great source of fiber and healthy fats, in addition to iron, calcium, selenium, phosphorus, vitamin E, magnesium and certain vitamin B.
Food Which contains the most protein
- Meat, Poultry, Fish, Egg, Tofu are mostly protein food.
- Seeds, Seeds butter, milk, cheese, yogurt are some protein food.
- Pasta,whole-grain bread, rice, barley, are little protein food.
How many proteins do vegetarians need?
- For adults, if your age is 18 years and over need 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of your body weight. For example, if your weight is 69 kg(151lbs) then you need about 56 grams of protein per day.
- If you are getting enough calories and eating from food groups vegetarian, healthy vegetarian athletes, and vegetarian no need to extra protein. Talk to a dietitian about the protein amount that pregnant women, breastfeeding women, children need.
How to make Healthy protein food according to our choices
There are some important tips for making healthy protein food for our choices
Skinless poultry and choose lean meats
- Change the cooking method and try that requires less fat: broiling, grilling, roasting, barbecuing and broiling.
- Remove the chicken or turkey from the skin high saturated fat at the skin. Dark meat has more fats than white meat.
- Lean ham Loins chops are good pork choices or pork tenderloin.
- Avoid the food such high-fat sauces such as cream, butter, and gravy, Try marinades made with yogurt, garlic, lemon and herbs, and spices and herbs to get us maximum flavor.
In a week eat two servings of fish
Fish are the most important food for our health. In fish get a good source of protein. It is an excellent source of omega-3 and fats.
Fish with Omega-3 can also help in reducing heart diseases.
Some important ideas for getting more vegetable protein in our diet
- We should start our day with the whole-grain cereal or a bowl of oatmeal. Increase the flavor with some pumpkin seeds or almonds.
- In the morning make your own proteins bars the night before for a portable breakfast.
- We should add chickpeas, black beans, or lentils, soup, salad at lunch.
Vegetarian protein sourcesPeople do a thing that only non-veg food contain maximum protein. But the Vegetarian sources of protein that we discussed in the article are quite enough to fulfill your daily requirement of protein. So, if you are vegetarian and suffering from protein deficiency then you just need to increase vegetarian protein in your meal.
We already discussed vegetarian protein-rich sources that you can add in your meal. Hope the information helps you in maintaining your protein diet.